Show on map
Add to Favourites
Mocktree, Leintwardine, Shropshire, SY7
Mocktree Barns is a thriving holiday cottage business and comfortable family home located on the edge of a sought after village approximately 7 miles west of historic Ludlow.
There are five self contained self catering holiday cottages and the main house. Set on a plot of approximately one acre Mocktree Barns enjoy lovely views over the gardens to surrounding countryside. EPC C.
- Mocktree Barns is an award winning and thriving, self-catering holiday cottage business situated just over a mile from the centre of Leintwardine. This pretty village in the Welsh Marches is just 8 miles west of historic Ludlow. Dating back to Roman times, Leintwardine lies in North Herefordshire close to the Shropshire & Powys borders. This is a lively local community with a primary school, while the well regarded Wigmore secondary school is just 4 miles distant. With a range of village shops, doctor's surgery, post office, repair garage, petrol station and two pub / restaurants, as well as the renowned Sun Inn. It is a destination for tourists and an ideal base from which to explore the Welsh Marches and surrounding market towns.
- Originally a set of farm buildings, Mocktree Barns were converted to five self contained holiday cottages and an adjacent main house which was formerly the threshing barn. Set in a south facing courtyard the barns are full of enormous charm and character, built from Aymestrey limestone with some timber cladding, each of the holiday cottages has a distinctive feel. With exposed beams and stone walls each create a traditional atmosphere and the cottages cater for a variety of needs. In the last 20 years the current owners have built a successful business here. They have actively promoted green tourism and welcome guests from all walks of life, many returning year after year. Awarded a 3* grading in Visit Britain Quality in Tourism, and a Green Tourism Business Scheme Gold Award, the cottages are child friendly. Additionally two of them, being single-storey, offer good facilities for the disabled. These have been assessed to level 1 in the Visit Britain National Accessible Scheme.
- Set off the A4113 on a generous plot of approximately an acre, the house and barns are approached from the lane over a small area of land owned by the adjacent Downton Estate and into the private gravelled drive. There is a large parking area allowing ample parking and turning space for the guestsâ™ cars. The Holiday Cottages There are five self contained holiday cottages. Double glazed and fully equipped for all seasons, they possess everything one needs for happy and contented guests! The cottages will be sold to include all white goods, kitchen equipment, towels, linen, crockery, TVâ™s and furniture. (There are some personal items which the current owners will remove but these will be pointed out to prospective buyers.) Garden furniture for the courtyard, equipment for disabled guests, together with an extensive library of up-to-date local information, books and childrenâ™s toys will also be included in the sale.
- The current owners have worked hard to create a friendly and welcoming holiday experience for their guests. They have actively promoted green tourism and have worked together with the local community and local tourism groups. For those wishing to continue the business the owners will be very happy to make the necessary introductions and share their knowledge of local tradesmen and suppliers.
For more information on the holiday cottages please go to www.mocktreeholidays.co.uk.
- A door from the Courtyard opens to a useful office/study which is also accessed from the main house.
The Main House - Mocktree Barn A spacious property, thoughtfully converted by the previous owners and improved by our vendors to include cavity wall insulation. It faces south west into the courtyard and enjoys stunning views to the rear down the valley towards the Clee Hills and over the adjacent privately owned Downton Estate. It is a well proportioned home with oil fired central heating and double glazing throughout. There is a wealth of character features, including exposed timbers and ledged and braced internal doors. A wide entrance door opens to the Reception Hall, with wood effect flooring and stairs rising to the first floor. The understair area provides a valuable storage space. There is a ground floor cloakroom with wc, wash basin and useful recessed storage cupboard. A door opens to the Office.
- A full-height glazed door and glazed panels open from the Reception Hall to the light and airy Dining Room which has wood effect flooring and large windows and French doors opening to the patio and gardens. The Sitting Room is a spacious room with windows to front and rear and a deep bay window to the south side enjoying views over the adjacent farmland. There is a stone fireplace and wood burning stove on stone hearth. The Kitchen is appointed with a range of wall and base units providing cupboard, drawer and working space with inset sink unit, space for cooker, fitted extractor hood, space for fridge freezer and space for table and chairs looking onto the garden. It has a ceramic tiled floor and windows to the side and rear. A door opens to a rear Lobby and Utility area off, with plumbing for washing machine and the oil fired central heating boiler. A door opens to the rear patio and gardens.
- The first floor Landing has a window overlooking the courtyard and a substantial Airing Cupboard with hot water cylinder and optional immersion heater.
There are Two Double Bedrooms both enjoying super views over the gardens and to the countryside beyond. One has a wash basin and useful storage cupboards with hatch to the staircase below allowing easier access for larger pieces of furniture if needed. The House Bathroom is appointed with a coloured suite of bath, wash basin and w.c. The third, Master Bedroom is a lovely room with windows to the side and rear enjoying extensive views. It has an en Suite Shower Room with wash basin, w.c. and enclosed cubicle with power shower. There is a telephone socket in this room
All three bedrooms are fitted with TV aerial sockets (as are the Sitting Room and Kitchen).
A door from the landing opens to a staircase leading to the Attic rooms. Here are three good sized rooms, ideal as hobby rooms and with useful eaves storage. They each have a Velux roof window and there are additional windows at either end making this a light and airy attic. They could be suitable for additional bedrooms if required. One room has a telephone socket. Please note the head height as you reach the second floor is slightly limited.
- The private Gardens to Mocktree Barn are to the rear, accessed off the main courtyard through a five bar gate. They enjoy lovely views down the valley to the hills beyond and the surrounding farmland. The gardens have been professionally landscaped and thoughtfully planted with a range of mature trees and shrubs. Paths wind around established shrubberies and borders and to the side are raised beds and a further shrubbery. The gardens are laid partly to lawn with a large pond with a wooden jetty. The substantial 10â™ x 8â™ greenhouse will be included in the sale. There is a large Wooden Workshop with power and light and an attached wooden shed with power connection.. Off the main courtyard is a productive vegetable garden with abundant soft fruit.
Please note that a public footpath runs through the gardens, but this is very rarely used.
Solar panels have been installed on the single storey wing and these provide electricity for the main house, Weavers and Kit Cottages. They enjoy a feed in tariff at a preferential rate. The oil fired central heating boiler in the main house also provides heating for Weavers and Kit Cottages. It is envisaged that the purchasers will honour any forward bookings and dependent upon timing we would negotiate a separate amicable financial agreement for these. Similar arrangements will also apply to the transferring of the business web site and other advertising commitments.
Council Tax- The Main House is classed as residential for Council Tax purposes. The Holiday Cottages are listed for business rates at zero as they currently qualify for small business rate relief.