The historic market town of Brecon is situated in a magical spot where the rivers Usk and Honddu meet in the heart of the Brecon Beacons National Park with its outstanding glorious and unspoilt countryside and latter acquiring its Welsh name of Aberhonddu. The history of the town itself is of interest to visitors as this area of Breconshire is generally regarded as one of the most historic locations of settlements in Wales.
The beautiful Brecon Beacon National Park
The town offers many amenities along with exceptional sites of significant interest including Brecon Cathedral being a major landmark for the town dating back to as early as 1094, along with the Guild Hall and the Duke of Wellington Statue [1769 - 1852] which stands by St Mary's Church in the centre of the town. The statue was erected in 1856 by a Brecon resident Evan Thomas as a mark of respect. There are a substantial number of outdoor pursuits to enjoy to include a cruise along the Brecon to Monmouthshire Canal offering a distance of 37 miles of waterways to enjoy the surrounding countryside and villages along the way. There are an abundance of horse riding schools within the area along with premises offering climbing and high wire adventures, water sports and sky hobbies and bird watching.
There are a couple of golf courses within one being in Llanfaes along with a further one being of Cradoc Pro Golf Course which overlooks Pen-y-Fan and Corn-Ddu mountains and is one of Wales’ premier golf club with a magnificent 18 hole course and being sited only a 45 minute drive from The Celtic Manor which was the home of the Ryder Cup 2010.